Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/05/2015 10:28 pm  #1

Needle Palm Growth

Here are some Needle palms at my house in St. Marys, GA.  I planted these in the spring of 2004 in the shade of some Live oaks, but not in an area where they have too much root competition from the oaks themselves.  This photo was taken in 2014 and shows how much the palms have grown in a decade.  They are now well over 8 feet in height.  I have read many times how slow Needle palms are, but in reality, they grow pretty fast and it doesn't take them long to look impressive.  I think they are our overlooked native. 

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/Tom_StMarys_GA/Needles81013_zpsf06f301b.jpg

3/05/2015 10:53 pm  #2

Re: Needle Palm Growth

Nice picture Tom. Needles seem pretty slow so far in my limited experience, but I've only worked with small specimens so far. You've been growing palms a lot longer than I have though. I hope that as mine get larger they will speed up and I can tell you how right your are. I hope mine can grow up to look like yours. Thanks for posting.

3/06/2015 7:21 am  #3

You say they grow fast but with my experience they grow very slowly in the north. At least they survive these cold winters.

Interests include (but not limited to) hardy tropicals, bananas and elephant ears, hardy agaves, hardy cacti, broadleaf evergreens, as well as exotic tropicals.

3/06/2015 8:24 am  #4

I've had both experiences. with regards to growth.  Several grow very slow, and others are more moderate at rate of growth. Over a 10 year period some are 7 feet tall and others 4 feet.

3/06/2015 12:41 pm  #5

Very nice landscape and needles! Looks very lush around your place.

3/06/2015 7:41 pm  #6

I sprouted one from seed about 25 years ago and it now has leaves up over my head.

3/23/2015 3:18 am  #7

testing to post pic

Board footera