Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/07/2015 2:30 am  #1

Board issues, message from Ian

Well folks I am having some major problems with my main notebook PC right now.  I have seen all the messages on the main board and had hoped to reply to them but it's going to have to wait.  I'll probably have to have someone who knows computers come out and fix it.  Basically whenever I make it do anything that requires more than a bare minimum of resources it freezes up and becomes unresponsive.  Never had that happen before.  I already ran a virus scan which came back clean.

It's amazing how reliant on technology we've become.  I've got to remember to write all my login information down on a piece of paper after this!

More tomorrow, I hope....
Ian

3/07/2015 7:33 am  #2

Re: Board issues, message from Ian

Ian look up under your processes and see what you have running that you can cut off and sometimes it can be a browser problem and most people never delete cookies or temp files.  I have a scheduled defrag every week for my PC. Alt Crtl and delete at the same time will bring up your task manager.  
You might know all lof this but just in case you dont.

Some virus programs will cause a problem with freezes too.

Last edited by Dennis Surfside Beach SC (3/07/2015 7:34 am)

Palm Tree Huntings

3/07/2015 12:56 pm  #3

Yeah, I think it's something more serious than that.  It is affecting all programs and I can't even get task manager to load with ctrl+alt+del.  I have automatic defrag every week as well.  Anyway, looks like I have my login info for the other board so I'll go ahead and post something over there.  The antivirus software I installed a couple months ago could be an issue, but it better not be... Grrrr.

3/07/2015 3:47 pm  #4

Ian in Sequim wrote:

Yeah, I think it's something more serious than that.  It is affecting all programs and I can't even get task manager to load with ctrl+alt+del.  I have automatic defrag every week as well.  Anyway, looks like I have my login info for the other board so I'll go ahead and post something over there.  The antivirus software I installed a couple months ago could be an issue, but it better not be... Grrrr.

I would get a thumbdrive and put Malwarebytes onto it. Then plug that into your infected (seems like you have a  malware infection) PC, then run the program. It can be found https://www.malwarebytes.org/ make sure to download the 'free' version.

3/08/2015 2:11 am  #5

Which brand of compuer do you have?  A lot of the popular brands keep a backup partition to recover a new installation of Windows.  If you're hardware is to blame, it can corrupt the Windows Installation.

Or you could load a live installation of Linux (just burn something like Ubuntu on a DVD and choose Try).  It won't make any modifications to your computer but it will run.

3/11/2015 11:24 am  #6

Well I sent my computer to a local guy who was highly recommended, and it turns out my hard drive is at death's door.  No wonder nothing I was doing worked.

Converting to Linux/Ubuntu is something that interests me, because I had the idea I could do it on this computer I'm using now.  It's 11 years old and runs Windows XP, which I wouldn't mind deleting if Ubuntu were satisfactory.  It's pretty slow, and I'm not sure if I need to clean it up first-- I'm no computer whiz but I feel like I probably should.

I'll revisit login issues that were discussesd on the main board in a few days when I get my computer back.

3/18/2015 3:38 pm  #7

At long last, I have my computer back with a new hard drive.  I'll have a fun evening of moving all my backed up data and putting my computer back together... after that, I'll hopefully get back to forum issues by the end of the week.  Some of you have asked about whether a TinyPic upload can be added here.  I'll look into that and other matters SOON.  Sorry for the wait and non-involvelent here over the last week and 1/2.

This is my signature.  I may update it in the future.

Board footera