Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2015 6:26 am  #16

Re: Today's the day

Things are looking great Cindy. Are those bags you use to cover the palms, 100% waterproof?
Clint, Niagara Falls, ON

Interests include (but not limited to) hardy tropicals, bananas and elephant ears, hardy agaves, hardy cacti, broadleaf evergreens, as well as exotic tropicals.

3/10/2015 11:01 am  #17

Hey Cindy!  I think protecting your valuable palms counts as gardening, lol.  Nice to see that they made it.  They will look great soon!

Frank

3/10/2015 5:17 pm  #18

1Niagaran wrote:

Things are looking great Cindy. Are those bags you use to cover the palms, 100% waterproof?
Clint, Niagara Falls, ON

Hey Clint
The bags are made out of tyvex---the stuff they put on houses in between the wood base and the outer shell (siding).   They seem to be pretty water tight...the tvyex lets the palms breathe and sheds the water.

3/10/2015 5:28 pm  #19

Frank in Nashville wrote:

Hey Cindy!  I think protecting your valuable palms counts as gardening, lol.  Nice to see that they made it.  They will look great soon!

Frank

Hello Frank
Ok...marginally gardening.
I am very careful to claim that palms are alive after the spring uncovering...damage will start to show as soon as we get consistent warmth. 
  I can't believe it's 75 F here at 630pm.  I'm sure the weather pattern will reverse again this month.   
How are things your way?

3/10/2015 11:04 pm  #20

Wow, you have a lot more space than your old property!  Have you considered planting Loblollies for protection?

3/11/2015 1:50 am  #21

Awesome pics!! Really happy that everything made it through well for you. Those Juabeas (and all their hybrids) are absolutely beautiful. Looks like the beginning of another successful growing season there.

The Nolina looks incredible also. I've always wanted to give linearfolia a try. Looks like it handled your winter without any problems at all! 

How cold did you get in Siler City this winter?
Thanks for sharing!

3/11/2015 8:52 am  #22

Hi Cindy,caint wait to see pics of your palms in the summer,what is that you have them wrapped in? i like it

3/11/2015 6:21 pm  #23

John S wrote:

Wow, you have a lot more space than your old property!  Have you considered planting Loblollies for protection?

Hi John
I have plenty of loblollies on the property...they are terrible in ice storms tho.  They snap in half like matchsticks with not much ice buildup on them.  None are close to the house, thank goodness.

3/11/2015 6:26 pm  #24

Alex NYC wrote:

Awesome pics!! Really happy that everything made it through well for you. Those Juabeas (and all their hybrids) are absolutely beautiful. Looks like the beginning of another successful growing season there.

The Nolina looks incredible also. I've always wanted to give linearfolia a try. Looks like it handled your winter without any problems at all! 

How cold did you get in Siler City this winter?
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks.  y.linearfolia are tough plants but I don't know the zone rating.  My winter low this year was, I think, 6 or 7.  We had at  least 3 days when high temps hovered just below freezing.  Before Feb., winter was benign.

3/11/2015 6:27 pm  #25

karenr nc wrote:

Hi Cindy,caint wait to see pics of your palms in the summer,what is that you have them wrapped in? i like it

Hey Karen
See a post above for a description of the wraps.

3/14/2015 10:59 am  #26

Cindy NC wrote:

Serenoa vasc wrote:

Cindy ! So nice to see your posts and to see that you are still plantings palm trees.
I saw Robert no so long ago and I was telling him how much I wished I had your phone number so I could have called you to take some news. My email was hacked and all emails addresses stolen so I could not even reach you via email. I wasn't sure either if you were still dealing with palms. One of the last things I read from you is that you were very busy and in between houses constantly with this new purchase and the chalet on the mountain.
Glad to see all your palms are doing really well.... Ahhhhh... Jubaeas Lol all look very good !
I hope you will give us more updates from now on

Hey Lisa!
What a pain keeping the bad guys at bay. Sometimes I feel like we are all better off going back to manual systems...except I forget how to do cursive writing. . I have done no gardening for a long time...nothing..no buying, planting, posting, or weeding (which is obvious when visiting my place). So, I am trying to get back into it, but now I have new roadblocks and am still working full-time. I finally can retire, but I will wait until we get all of the houses squared away.

How are your jubs doing? With your winters, they should grow well. They definitely grow during the winter albeit so slowly for me. Your garden must rival the bamboo gardens by now...and you have a warmer locale to zone push even more....not that you would ever consider that .

Hiya Cindy,

Jubaeas still look the same, small and hopeless LOL at least they are not dead. May be they are busy working underground.
I have taken these past days pictures of all the butias I planted since 2010. sorry could not post them here, too many pics, they are on the old forum...... if you want to look at them. Oh no, trust me, I am no bamboo garden at all, still have a lot to do. Wishing you a great week end.
PS. 
I will have to pinpoint your new city on a map so may be when we go to NC I could come and see your jubaeas 

Lisa

3/17/2015 5:48 pm  #27

Serenoa vasc wrote:

Cindy NC wrote:

Serenoa vasc wrote:

Cindy ! So nice to see your posts and to see that you are still plantings palm trees.
I saw Robert no so long ago and I was telling him how much I wished I had your phone number so I could have called you to take some news. My email was hacked and all emails addresses stolen so I could not even reach you via email. I wasn't sure either if you were still dealing with palms. One of the last things I read from you is that you were very busy and in between houses constantly with this new purchase and the chalet on the mountain.
Glad to see all your palms are doing really well.... Ahhhhh... Jubaeas Lol all look very good !
I hope you will give us more updates from now on

Hey Lisa!
What a pain keeping the bad guys at bay. Sometimes I feel like we are all better off going back to manual systems...except I forget how to do cursive writing. . I have done no gardening for a long time...nothing..no buying, planting, posting, or weeding (which is obvious when visiting my place). So, I am trying to get back into it, but now I have new roadblocks and am still working full-time. I finally can retire, but I will wait until we get all of the houses squared away.

How are your jubs doing? With your winters, they should grow well. They definitely grow during the winter albeit so slowly for me. Your garden must rival the bamboo gardens by now...and you have a warmer locale to zone push even more....not that you would ever consider that .

Hiya Cindy,

Jubaeas still look the same, small and hopeless LOL at least they are not dead. May be they are busy working underground.
I have taken these past days pictures of all the butias I planted since 2010. sorry could not post them here, too many pics, they are on the old forum...... if you want to look at them. Oh no, trust me, I am no bamboo garden at all, still have a lot to do. Wishing you a great week end.
PS. 
I will have to pinpoint your new city on a map so may be when we go to NC I could come and see your jubaeas 

I live 25 min north of Big Bloomers...a quick jaunt.
I saw your Butia expo.  WOWSER!    You need to charge admission fees.   Great job LISA!

3/17/2015 11:58 pm  #28

Hi Cindy

Great collection of plants. The palms look amazing. Love the linearifolia and nelsonii too!

3/18/2015 5:06 pm  #29

Tim MA z6 wrote:

Hi Cindy

Great collection of plants. The palms look amazing. Love the linearifolia and nelsonii too!

Thanks!  The collection has dwindled down drastically.

3/22/2015 12:59 pm  #30

Cindy what zone do you garden?
Thank you

Scorpio

Board footera