Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/17/2015 2:58 am  #1

Schefflera delavayi

My S delavayi appears OK. I had it protected with leaves and some mini lights since it was its first winter. How does everyone else's Schefflera look?  My S taiwaniana looks like it may die and was protected too.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/timmaz6/2015%20Plants/02924688-20DC-4D92-9447-22ED0258786F_zpsslclozpx.jpg

3/17/2015 11:01 pm  #2

Re: Schefflera delavayi

Congrats! That is awesome to see. I was hesitant to grow them after another horrible winter here temperature wise, but after seeing your success with mulch that gives me hope. Where did you get your plant from? 
Thanks for sharing! Wishing it luck this growing season. 

3/18/2015 12:00 am  #3

Hi Alex

I got my Scheffleras from Cistus. I hope it takes off this season.

3/18/2015 9:38 am  #4

well, your plant looks very nice now so seems that as long as somebody doesn't step on it or steal it (and the weather doesn't decide to suddenly change for the worst big time) you should have some good growing once warm weather comes back for good this year.

growing plants "on the edge of horticultural sanity".  s.w. oregon coast USDA 9/sunset 5.  grow eucalyptus, acacia, mexican evergreen oaks and pines. 

3/18/2015 5:10 pm  #5

Wow,Tim. Great job!
I haven't been able to keep 'em alive.  Guess I should protect them.

3/23/2015 1:19 pm  #6

Thanks for letting me know! I forgot who it was but someone mentioned Cistus as a good source for S. delavayi to me back in the Fall. Definitely will be buying some this spring to test out (they'll replace my frostproof gardenias if they don't come back).

Board footera