Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



3/20/2015 7:33 pm  #1


Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

Is this book worthy?
Agaves, Yuccas, and Related Plants: A Gardener's Guide [Illustrated] [Hardcover]

Or is there something better?  I want something that IDs North American yuccas, lists zones, descriptions, etc.   

Thanks for any leads.

 

3/20/2015 11:38 pm  #2


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

I've had this book for years.  Overall it is a pretty good book and I think it is worth having.  My only issues would be #1) it is not quite as complete as we might like; in particular, some of the rarer native Yuccas are not listed (Y. baileyi, campestris, reverchoni, arizonica); #2) hardiness ratings are overly conservative across the board.  Other than that it's still really good--the descriptions are detailed and there are taxonomic keys to Agave and Yucca in the back.


This is my signature.  I may update it in the future.
 

3/21/2015 8:48 am  #3


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

yes, the agaves and yucca book is both good and not-so good in certain ways as Ian indicated IMHO,(probably because the authors are writing from more of a phoenix arizona/southern california/"true" mediterranean/desert climate centered perspective and "bias").  the other book to consider (if you have some spare money to burn) is '"agaves of continental north america" by H.Scott Gentry---the "classic" of the genre which is supposedly containes most all the info you are looking for on most all the species.  OTOH, some of the info in the on-line catalogs of yuccado, cistus, and plantdelights nurseries is generally based on cultivation experience in north american gardens and in some cases may be more germane and useful for the average gardener than some of the life zone and ecological info in the more "scholarly" treatments. 

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon (3/21/2015 8:52 am)


growing plants "on the edge of horticultural sanity".  s.w. oregon coast USDA 9/sunset 5.  grow eucalyptus, acacia, mexican evergreen oaks and pines. 
 

3/21/2015 9:02 am  #4


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

Hi Cindy

try Flora of North America.  It's free!  Blooms are very important in Yucca ID which most books will not likely show....... seed pods tell a lot too (erect vs pendant and seed thickness).  All USA native Yuccas should be hardy in your area except some forms of Y. whippeli (technically not even a true Yucca).

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=10019

 

3/21/2015 5:31 pm  #5


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

Ian in Sequim WA wrote:

I've had this book for years.  Overall it is a pretty good book and I think it is worth having.  My only issues would be #1) it is not quite as complete as we might like; in particular, some of the rarer native Yuccas are not listed (Y. baileyi, campestris, reverchoni, arizonica); #2) hardiness ratings are overly conservative across the board.  Other than that it's still really good--the descriptions are detailed and there are taxonomic keys to Agave and Yucca in the back.

 
Ok.  Good pictures?
thanks

     Thread Starter
 

3/21/2015 5:34 pm  #6


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

georgeinbandonoregon wrote:

yes, the agaves and yucca book is both good and not-so good in certain ways as Ian indicated IMHO,(probably because the authors are writing from more of a phoenix arizona/southern california/"true" mediterranean/desert climate centered perspective and "bias").  the other book to consider (if you have some spare money to burn) is '"agaves of continental north america" by H.Scott Gentry---the "classic" of the genre which is supposedly containes most all the info you are looking for on most all the species.  OTOH, some of the info in the on-line catalogs of yuccado, cistus, and plantdelights nurseries is generally based on cultivation experience in north american gardens and in some cases may be more germane and useful for the average gardener than some of the life zone and ecological info in the more "scholarly" treatments. 

 
Thanks for the recommendation...I'll look it up.

     Thread Starter
 

3/21/2015 5:46 pm  #7


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

Tim MA z6 wrote:

Hi Cindy

try Flora of North America.  It's free!  Blooms are very important in Yucca ID which most books will not likely show....... seed pods tell a lot too (erect vs pendant and seed thickness).  All USA native Yuccas should be hardy in your area except some forms of Y. whippeli (technically not even a true Yucca).

http://www.efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=10019

 
Thanks for the link!

     Thread Starter
 

3/29/2015 9:37 pm  #8


Re: Looking for a good Yucca and agave book

Cindy,all you have to do is google,any topic ,google best book.

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum