Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



3/20/2015 7:54 pm  #1


How to kill bamboo groves?

Help!  what works?   The underground stolons have escaped well beyond the bamboo barrier.  If I cut down the grove (phyllostachys) will the shoots still come up?   

3 years later and I am still trying to kill a black bamboo outbreak, too. 

My moso never got out of control....yet.

I need a quick and dirty exterminator solution!

 

3/21/2015 6:22 am  #2


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

Cindy, you will have to dig out each and every one in order to get rid of the bamboo. It took me three years to finally get rid of all the bamboo I had growing. You might want to advertise that you have bamboo you want to get rid of--it's usually very expensive so someone might come by and dig it out for you. Good luck!


Interests include (but not limited to) hardy tropicals, bananas and elephant ears, hardy agaves, hardy cacti, broadleaf evergreens, as well as exotic tropicals.
 

3/21/2015 9:06 am  #3


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

well, assuming you have the time and energy (but still "quick and dirty" i think but certainly not the dirt involved in digging out every shoot by manual labor) you can cut all the stocks down to ground level and then IF POSSIBLE (IOW, the stems aren't too thick) mow the whole area "flat" and then WAIT until new shoots come up.  when you have a nice bamboo "lawn" going you can then use a total vegetation killer like "roundup" on the tender new shoots.  READ the label and follow the directions for application exactly INCLUDING using the proper protective gear (rubber gloves and goggles, long sleeve shirt, long pants, and water proof work shoes, i think).  when the shoots turn brown mow again and then wait---if new shoots come up do exactly the same procedure, continue this  process as needed and hopefuly in one growing season with relatively minimal hard physical effort you should be largely free of your problem. 

when applying be careful to "hit" only what you want to kill because other plants can be harmed or killed if you accidentally spray on them.  the best way to do this if using a "spray" device is to keep the sprayer nozzle very close to the "target" and do any spraying on a calm, dry day so wind or rain will not disturb your "aim"  there are also "wand" type devices available that you can use to "paint" over the plants you want to control and thus largely eliminate the changes of "over spray" and hurting stuff you don't want to hurt.

properly applied, "roundup" has little or no residiual in soil or water and after you're completely done with the bamboo you should be able to plant whatever you want to replace the bamboo. 

your county extension agent should be of help for alternative treatments both chemical and otherwise including other home-owner approved herbicides that PROPERLY USED will control the bamboo and be safe for you and other plants and the surrounding environment.  hope this helps. good luck.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon (3/21/2015 11:46 am)


growing plants "on the edge of horticultural sanity".  s.w. oregon coast USDA 9/sunset 5.  grow eucalyptus, acacia, mexican evergreen oaks and pines. 
 

3/21/2015 12:20 pm  #4


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

Sever main roots with a shovel.  You can tell where they are since the bamboo generally grows in stright lines.  Break off all culms where you don't want them.  New shoots will emerge.  Break off new shoots before leaves open up.  More shoots will emerge but much weaker.  Break them off before leaves open.  Bamboo will be very weak now since it's loosing energy.

 

3/21/2015 5:16 pm  #5


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

1Niagaran wrote:

You might want to advertise that you have bamboo you want to get rid of--it's usually very expensive so someone might come by and dig it out for you.

 
Great idea.   Anybody want some phyllostachys (it has bright yellow culms with green stripes) 1-2" diameter.   

Thanks!

My grove is fairly big and spreading rapidly..would take me a year to dig each shoot up....them sneaky buggers!

     Thread Starter
 

3/21/2015 5:20 pm  #6


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

georgeinbandonoregon wrote:

well, assuming you have the time and energy (but still "quick and dirty" i think but certainly not the dirt involved in digging out every shoot by manual labor) you can cut all the stocks down to ground level and then IF POSSIBLE (IOW, the stems aren't too thick) mow the whole area "flat" and then WAIT until new shoots come up.  when you have a nice bamboo "lawn" going you can then use a total vegetation killer like "roundup" on the tender new shoots.  READ the label and follow the directions for application exactly INCLUDING using the proper protective gear (rubber gloves and goggles, long sleeve shirt, long pants, and water proof work shoes, i think).  when the shoots turn brown mow again and then wait---if new shoots come up do exactly the same procedure, continue this  process as needed and hopefuly in one growing season with relatively minimal hard physical effort you should be largely free of your problem. 
.

 
I was wondering if Roundup would do the job.

Thanks for the nice writeup and advice.   I'll have to get a chainsaw to cut the grove down.  Anyone want some culms...they are really pretty and tall.

     Thread Starter
 

3/21/2015 5:23 pm  #7


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

Tim MA z6 wrote:

Sever main roots with a shovel.  You can tell where they are since the bamboo generally grows in stright lines.  Break off all culms where you don't want them.  New shoots will emerge.  Break off new shoots before leaves open up.  More shoots will emerge but much weaker.  Break them off before leaves open.  Bamboo will be very weak now since it's loosing energy.

Weak enough for everything to die off without a vegetation killer?
 Thanks

     Thread Starter
 

3/22/2015 11:15 am  #8


Re: How to kill bamboo groves?

Cindy, it sounds like you have Phyllostacys viridis 'Robert Young". That is the most desired bamboo at plant sales. Maybe a nurseryman would dig it all. That means there would still be sprouts as I'm sure it would be hard to get every piece of the rhizome. I just walk around my grove in spring and step on the newly emerging cane. If I miss one or two I just cut them down. The grove will try to send up shoots again sometime in the summer but you do the same for them. Next spring another few may try to come up but jump them too. This type of bamboo stores it's energy in the roots so each time you kill off the canes the roots lose energy. After a few times of killing the tops the whole grove should die.

Last edited by Jeff zone 8 NC (3/22/2015 11:17 am)

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum