Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 2:39 pm  #1

Two new subforums added. And general comments on subforums

I have added the two subforums that members have suggested.  In general I like the idea of keeping things simple but I think both of these have potential to get some use so we shall see.  If they get enough use I will keep them, even if the HPSB elects to remain under the old/current format.  If they do not get much use, I will merge them into the main forum here at some point.  What seemed to happen over at Growing on the Edge when they tried creating more subforums was everyone just went over to the main forum anyways.  But IPS seems to maintain quite a few subforums with success so who knows what could happen; I guess it could go either way.

Now in general the three forums we started off with were meant to replace, or potentially* replace, existing (or formerly existing) forums; and hopefully make things less complicated by bringing them under one "roof" so to speak.  But as I said, I don't object to more subforums if people will actually use them.  I'm thinking a hardy cacti and succulents subforum would be a logical extension of what we have here at some point, but I'm not rushing into that just yet.

*I say "potentially" because, as promised, the HPSB will not be "replaced" if we vote to keep the old format.

This is my signature.  I may update it in the future.

3/02/2015 7:20 pm  #2

Re: Two new subforums added. And general comments on subforums

I like the idea of plant subforums, it's nice and convenient to have so many topics in one place.   Not sure I love the regional subforums, I can understand the PNW thing, but I'd prefer to not dice it up too much.  I hear what you're saying about too many and just being posted in the main forum.

Last edited by Brad - Pittsburgh (3/02/2015 7:24 pm)

Zone 6a, 20 miles SE of Pittsburgh
Previous gardens in Dubois, Pa, Walnut Creek, CA, and Lancaster, NY
Other gardening interests: Edibles, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies, and deer resistant, variegated and fragrant plants

3/03/2015 12:44 am  #3

Re: Two new subforums added. And general comments on subforums

Brad, I really don't have any plans to add more regional subforums since there seem to be enough of them already out there.  The PNW forum is intended specifically to replace one that existed for many years and was merged into the Cloudforest a few months back, but you probably already read that.

This is my signature.  I may update it in the future.

Board footera