Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 6:28 am  #1

Coldest February on record here in Niagara

Didn't think it could get worst than last year but February was our worst on record. Lots of damage to Aucuba's so far. Time will tell with other plants.

Interests include (but not limited to) hardy tropicals, bananas and elephant ears, hardy agaves, hardy cacti, broadleaf evergreens, as well as exotic tropicals.

3/02/2015 9:18 am  #2

Re: Coldest February on record here in Niagara

Avg 25F/7F this Feb here-not great 

3/02/2015 9:20 am  #3

Highest at the airport 46F lowest -13F  in
my warm garden it was 50F/-8F

3/02/2015 4:24 pm  #4

My buddy in Buffalo texted me yesterday regarding their weather.  He said February was the coldest month ever in Buffalo...period!  10.9F average temp.  More than 60 consecutive days below freezing!

Zone 6a, 20 miles SE of Pittsburgh
Previous gardens in Dubois, Pa, Walnut Creek, CA, and Lancaster, NY
Other gardening interests: Edibles, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies, and deer resistant, variegated and fragrant plants

3/03/2015 9:17 am  #5

I'd start growing hardy conifers, and birch.  They'd be right at home and look great too.  But I'd be complaining about the cold all winter long regardless of how good my plants looked.  

Brad - Pittsburgh wrote:

My buddy in Buffalo texted me yesterday regarding their weather.  He said February was the coldest month ever in Buffalo...period!  10.9F average temp.  More than 60 consecutive days below freezing!

Professional Horticulturist since 1985.  Grew up near St Louis, MO and never liked winter.  Still don't, even here in Central FL.  At least the palm palette is better!  Our garden Winter Haven is USDA Zone 9a/9b

3/17/2015 3:07 am  #6

Every day in Feb was below normal here in Providence RI. That was a record. It was the second coldest Feb with avg temp of 18.4F. Warmest day was 39F.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/timmaz6/2015%20Plants/E505F165-4C30-4FC5-9BCD-3261672F6DDC_zpsnm9ir5kp.png

3/17/2015 5:43 pm  #7

Brrrrrr
It was the 4th or 5th coldest in the Raleigh area....too cold for my bones 

Board footera