Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 4:48 pm  #1

A neat look for Bamboo

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nhm9uo.jpg

3/02/2015 4:57 pm  #2

Re: A neat look for Bamboo

I wonder what type bamboo this is?

3/02/2015 5:05 pm  #3

I like it and I like the idea of this board being in basically the same place as other boards and options.  I'm giving this an honest one month go at it, but so far, I still like the old format better.  I love the idea of this and the euc board though.   Is that bamboo hardy Rob?  The other caveat I would need is that it's a clumper.  Who knows, maybe one of these days, I'll give in and dig a 48" trench and either fill it with concrete or sheet metal and plant a spreader.

Zone 6a, 20 miles SE of Pittsburgh
Previous gardens in Dubois, Pa, Walnut Creek, CA, and Lancaster, NY
Other gardening interests: Edibles, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies, and deer resistant, variegated and fragrant plants

3/02/2015 5:19 pm  #4

Not sure about this bamboo but I love the design. I like this forum !

3/02/2015 10:21 pm  #5

It is neat Rob.  I don't know what kind it is but I like the style.I just found out this week that I go to church with a guy who is a horticulturist at the OKC zoo. I was told he has a ton of bamboo at his house and that he always wants people to help him thin it out. I think I know what I will be making all of my garden cages and trellises out of this year.

p.s. I am actually a fan of this new forum. Seems like a lot of people are not fond of it, but I guess I just like some change every once in a while.

3/02/2015 11:43 pm  #6

Hi Ben,
I hope you get some of that bamboo and try it out.  It can be quite expensive but Ive seen it cheap in Flea Markets.  I use to work with a bamboo gardener and he gave me some but they like a moist location. Its very dry at my place, no trees or shade and it didnt respond very well.
I really like that design layout and its contained so it seems like a good way to grow it, urban wise. Thanks!

3/03/2015 12:46 am  #7

That bamboo is probably a subtropical species such as one of the Bambusas, I would venture to guess, but you could train pretty much any Phyllostachys to grow like that by cutting all the lower branches off and topping it, and thinning it as needed.  People usually don't do that but it is certainly possible.

This is my signature.  I may update it in the future.

3/03/2015 8:20 am  #8

That is a neat design, but I bet it takes some maintenance.  I wouldn't want to try that design with a rampant runner.  If its in Australia, the climate is mild enough almost everywhere that a clumper could be used.  And in fact, the palm trunk in the background looks like one of the Archontophoenix, IMO.

And I'm liking this board too, in part because of the various subforums all in one place.

Professional Horticulturist since 1985.  Grew up near St Louis, MO and never liked winter.  Still don't, even here in Central FL.  At least the palm palette is better!  Our garden Winter Haven is USDA Zone 9a/9b

3/04/2015 5:08 pm  #9

That is a neat way to grow bamboo,i like the way its contained,that would be great in city limits where you wanted privacy.

3/05/2015 10:15 am  #10

Thanks for the comments friends

3/05/2015 10:18 am  #11

Ian in Sequim WA wrote:

That bamboo is probably a subtropical species such as one of the Bambusas, I would venture to guess, but you could train pretty much any Phyllostachys to grow like that by cutting all the lower branches off and topping it, and thinning it as needed.  People usually don't do that but it is certainly possible.

" People usually dont do that "
Hey, if they live in the city, stranger things have been done   Thanks Ian!

3/06/2015 8:18 am  #12

I have a running bamboo "Robert Young" that I have trimmed for 25 years in a tight spot. This is what i do to maintain it. In Dallas around June, the new culms have emerged to their ultimate height and the culm has hardened. I then top it off at the height I want it. It hen sends out side branches and they fill in with leaves. For my design, I make the culms bare for about 3 feet on one side, and the other I let the foliage fill in.  The result is you can see through and enjoy the beauty of the culms, with the added benefit of a visual screen in the backround blocking out the rest of the world and intimating the the grow extends forever.    If topped before the cane hardens, it will die to the ground.
Lots of time spent in spring topping and thining.. Rest of year, minor trimming of small shoots and such.

3/08/2015 10:14 am  #13

Rob North Tennessee wrote:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2nhm9uo.jpg

That's cool.  I may do that to some of my bamboo.

South East corner of the Salt Lake Valley.  Generally USDA zone 7a.

3/21/2015 5:56 pm  #14

TonyDFW wrote:

I have a running bamboo "Robert Young" that I have trimmed for 25 years in a tight spot. This is what i do to maintain it. In Dallas around June, the new culms have emerged to their ultimate height and the culm has hardened. I then top it off at the height I want it. It hen sends out side branches and they fill in with leaves. For my design, I make the culms bare for about 3 feet on one side, and the other I let the foliage fill in.  The result is you can see through and enjoy the beauty of the culms, with the added benefit of a visual screen in the backround blocking out the rest of the world and intimating the the grow extends forever.    If topped before the cane hardens, it will die to the ground.
Lots of time spent in spring topping and thining.. Rest of year, minor trimming of small shoots and such.

Ah ha!  I couldn't think of the name of my bamboo, but R.Young is what I have, also.  Thanks Tony for pinging my senior brain!

Last edited by Cindy NC (3/21/2015 5:56 pm)

3/22/2015 1:06 pm  #15

TonyDFW wrote:

Great information Tony

Scorpio

Board footera