Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2015 7:22 pm  #1

Indigenous creepy critters

What creepy critters (friendly or not) do you habitate with in your yard?  Here in the Piedmont we have plenty of black widow spiders, recluse spiders, gazillions of ticks (big to teeny tiny), chiggers, copperheads, giant black snakes, nasty water snakes, cute chameleons, lizards, and skinks, and those darn mud daubers.   

Eeeeeekkk

3/24/2015 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Indigenous creepy critters

At least you didn't mention palm pests,like scale,skeletonizers,and tortoise beetles that we have here.

3/25/2015 8:05 am  #3

Cindy i have all the ones you mentioned as well ,but my main problem is squarrels,they love my peach trees,and bird feeders.

3/25/2015 11:25 am  #4

Bill in Alabama wrote:

At least you didn't mention palm pests,like scale,skeletonizers,and tortoise beetles that we have here.

I don't even know what a tortoise beetle is...but I did forget the dang fire ants!

3/25/2015 8:02 pm  #5

Armadillos.  I hate them! The creepy factor is leprosy.  I don't like the fire ants either.  Oh, and the chickengunya mosquitoes, can't forget them.  Some folks would be creeped by our snakes, but so far, they are all non venomous, and shy.  So they aren't creepy.

Professional Horticulturist since 1985.  Grew up near St Louis, MO and never liked winter.  Still don't, even here in Central FL.  At least the palm palette is better!  Our garden Winter Haven is USDA Zone 9a/9b

3/26/2015 6:16 am  #6

Had to look up 'mud daubers'. We have them here too. Only creepy critters besides them that we have are skunks and garter snakes (and other smaller snakes that are extremely rare).

Interests include (but not limited to) hardy tropicals, bananas and elephant ears, hardy agaves, hardy cacti, broadleaf evergreens, as well as exotic tropicals.

3/26/2015 6:33 pm  #7

Keith Winter Haven, FL wrote:

Armadillos.  I hate them! The creepy factor is leprosy.  I don't like the fire ants either.  Oh, and the chickengunya mosquitoes, can't forget them.  Some folks would be creeped by our snakes, but so far, they are all non venomous, and shy.  So they aren't creepy.

How prevalent are the armadillos?  We don't havde them here.
I am creeped out by all snakes.

3/27/2015 6:01 am  #8

All the ones that you mentionned Cindy + bigger sizes...raccoons, possums, armadillos, alligators, smaller.... saddleback caterpillar.... And "cute" rabbits. Also another one I don't know the name...a big bug I usually find in the wood I try to burn but also can be found I believe in live trees... A kind of a black knight with big saws in front of its head... I feel like if it can get to my pinky it will cut it in half lol I have learned to tolerate the snakes except for the copperheads.... they really send shivers down my spine. These garden snakes ? They eat my little lezards !

Lisa

3/30/2015 11:27 am  #9

Cindy , This is my first post on this board . 
The creepy thing about the mud daubers is that inside their mud houses are paralyed spiders that are alive but awaiting to be eaten by the dauber's young when they hatch  . 
Will

Last edited by WSimpson NC (3/30/2015 11:28 am)

4/13/2015 12:11 pm  #10

Serenoa vasc wrote:

Also another one I don't know the name...a big bug I usually find in the wood I try to burn but also can be found I believe in live trees... A kind of a black knight with big saws in front of its head... I feel like if it can get to my pinky it will cut it in half lol

Water bug. I hate them.

Board footera