Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/08/2015 1:53 am  #1

Trachycarpus in the Salt Lake Valley

http://i1375.photobucket.com/albums/ag445/Brian_Mielke/11043019_10205939858396785_7020112452537813162_n_zpsyqrxhlzu.jpg

South East corner of the Salt Lake Valley.  Generally USDA zone 7a.

3/08/2015 7:24 am  #2

Re: Trachycarpus in the Salt Lake Valley

They look great, especially considering they were minimally protected, at least compared to here.  I'm sure it depends on the microclimates there, but are there any completely unprotected trachies there?

Zone 6a, 20 miles SE of Pittsburgh
Previous gardens in Dubois, Pa, Walnut Creek, CA, and Lancaster, NY
Other gardening interests: Edibles, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies, and deer resistant, variegated and fragrant plants

3/08/2015 9:11 am  #3

Brad - Pittsburgh wrote:

They look great, especially considering they were minimally protected, at least compared to here.  I'm sure it depends on the microclimates there, but are there any completely unprotected trachies there?

The trachy that I lost during the inversion from hell ( christmas 2012 until Feb 2013 ) went through a couple winters unprotected.  I know there was a large trachycarpus in Sugarhouse ( ie near downtown SLC ) that lived for a LONG time.  There were rumors that it was unprotected at times as well, but I never saw this palm in person.  I've seen a couple trachies around town, but not very many, like less than 5, and that's driving around the area for almost 10 years now.  The big trachies up at the Rose Shop ( not too far from my house ) are protected ( ie by Rob who sometimes posts to the old board ). I think trachies in the SLC valley may do OK here unprotected in mild winters ( like this year ) but it won't take too long before an inversion kills them.  Inversions are the limiting factor here, cold air gets trapped in the valley and doesn't leave, sometimes for weeks and weeks on end.  It doesn't happen every year but when it does it sucks, it's by far the worst weather that we get here.  For example Jan 2013 during the inversion from hell we had a month of fog in the valley and low temps in the single digits and highs in the upper teens/low tweenties, and during that time it was sunny and 55F up at the local ski area.  It was very frustrating.

Last edited by Brian in Utah (3/08/2015 9:14 am)

South East corner of the Salt Lake Valley.  Generally USDA zone 7a.

4/28/2015 7:29 pm  #4

Hey Brian, judging from those mountain pics, I'm not too far away from you. I snapped some pics last week of the Trachies that Rob has at the Rose Shop (I'll post them when I have reached the new user limit).

You're right about the inversions! Although we're in a 7a climate (temperature wise) the inversions are the killers. The '13 inversion killed my Trachyies as well as my musa's, tetrapanax, fatsia japonica, and the tops of some of my bamboos. I've never seen anything like that, and will be better prepared next time. Anyway, good to know there is a fellow hardier near by.

Benji

Board footera