Hardy Palm and Subtropical Board

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2015 5:46 pm  #1

Canary Island Date Palm in Southport NC

Hi. I was down in Southport NC earlier today and I noticed along NC 87 heading north a well-established CIDP. I snapped a few photos of it, but noticed that on google earth street view, there are several photos from June 2015 going back to 2007.Back in Dec 2013, it looked great. It obviously took a beating over the winter of 2014-2015 and is recovering now. 

I tried to post a link but this is my first time posting so it will not let me. On streetview, enter 8203 NC 87 Southport NC and you should see it. 

Anyone else in NC growing one of these? I just got a place on Oak Island and I'm thinking of sticking once of these in the ground. 

11/22/2015 7:18 pm  #2

Re: Canary Island Date Palm in Southport NC

Hi and welcome! So sorry no one has answered your question. This board was just created last year. It is the same name as another board with tons more traffic but sometimes the other board has a lot of arguing  and jealousy. Still most people are helpful there. This board was created to overcome the problems of the other board and the two boards not only share the same name they share the same moderator. I like both boards and so are a member of both. I am up the coast of N.C., from Oak Island, and near Swansboro. There is at least one big Canary date in Morehead City, N.C. planted on the south side of a metal building. It's a pretty good size and burns in our worst winters, but has been there for several years and recovers quickly in summer. There are also several around Wilmington. N.C. that do about the same. Oak Island should be better than any of those locations. Just try to put it where it is a little protected from the north wind and hopefully from salt air blowing off the ocean. 

Board footera